Majority of XRP Investors Anticipate Settlement in the Ripple vs. SEC Case


According to a Twitter poll conducted by pro-XRP attorney John E. Deaton, the majority of XRP investors anticipate that the US Securities and Exchange Commission would try to settle its legal dispute with Ripple.

Read also: Ripple Aims to Protect its Sensitive Business Information in Current Lawsuit Against the SEC

At the conclusion of the poll, which Deaton conducted on Wednesday, 59.2% of the more than 18,000 respondents projected that the matter would be resolved amicably in 2023, while the remaining 40.8% predicted that a judicial decision would be reached.

In reference to the lawsuit filed by SEC against Ripple in December 2020, charging the blockchain payments company and its officials a d marketing and selling XRP, tagged as an unregistered security. 

Although the poll by itself doesn’t reveal much about why XRP investors anticipate a settlement, it’s important to note that many now think that Ripple may have forced the SEC into a corner with the Hinman documents.

Bitcoin and Ethereum are not securities, according to William Hinman, an SEC director, who made this claim in a speech in 2018. In order to comprehend how the director arrived at this judgement and why the regulators viewed XRP differently. Ripple’s attorneys requested papers and communications pertaining to the speech’s draught; however, they encountered strong opposition from the SEC.

The regulator claimed that these documents were shielded by the attorney-client privilege, but after two judges rejected her claims six times in the space of 18 months, she finally turned them up to Ripple in October.

According to its most recent Omnibus motions to seal materials related to summary judgement motions, the SEC is making one last ditch effort to prevent these documents from becoming a part of public record. Intense curiosity and mistrust about the contents of the Hinman documents have been sparked by the great desire to keep them confidential. However, some members of the XRP community believe that if the court rejects the SEC’s Omnibus motion, the SEC may be compelled to negotiate a deal with Ripple to keep these records secret.

After receiving the documents, Stuart Alderoty, the general counsel for Ripple, suggested that Ripple had a better case and that it was “well worth the fight.”

Recall that Ripple’s CEO Brad Garlinghouse stated that the company wouldn’t settle unless the SEC gave XRP some clarification. Therefore, an out-of-court settlement may be advantageous for the XRP community.

Read article: Cross-Border P2P Payments With Visa Now Near-Instant, Thanks to Ripple Partnership

However, the wider crypto community does not desire this. David Gokhshtein, the founder of Gokhstein Media, has referred to it as the worst conceivable outcome and advocated an outright Ripple victory as the better option. Furthermore, while it clarifies things for XRP, it does not compel the regulator to also clarify things for the other cryptocurrency markets.

Notably, FOX Business reporter Eleanor Terrett has refuted both settlement claims that have surfaced in the past two months.

Pro-XRP lawyer Jeremy Hogan, who has constantly monitored the case, believes that while a settlement cannot be completely ruled out, it is improbable at this time. James K. Filan, a lawyer, believes that, without a settlement, the judge will issue her verdict before or before the end of March 2023.

Disclaimer: The information in this article should not be considered financial advice, and FXCryptoNews articles are intended only to provide educational and general information. Please consult with a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.

Share this :